In 2016 MIRAD was requested by a customer to design and deliver several switching & combining systems for Ku-band telemetry, tracking & command (TT&C) application for 9 different satellite gateways all over the globe (Perth, Adelaide, Betzdorf, Sao Paulo, Bogota, Woodbine, Miami, South Mountain). In total the order comprised 12 systems for 9 sites, while 3 systems are indoor units and 9 systems are designed as robust outdoor units to withstand all weather and environmental conditions.
Special waveguide filter design with forced air cooling was developed for the systems to separate receive and transmit channels. All units have been equippen with temperature controll units to ensure smooth and trouble-free operation. For the outdoor units, all HPAs were stored on drawer construction for smooth maintenance or replacement in case of failure. MIRAD was responsible for the complete design and implementation of all revlevant waveguide components like filters, couplers, splitters, switches and waveguide routing to the antennas. Pressure windows and air-inlets have been included to provide suifficient overpressure inside the system to ensure that the system is protected against humidity or other environmental influences.
Key technical challenges:
- Different switching & combining units
- Combination up to 6 channels
- High power handling
- Complexe waveguide routing between switching Units and antennas (underfloor)
- Thermal Control Unit
- Accessibility for maintenance work
- Frequency range FSS: 13.75 – 14.50 GHz
- Frequency range BSS: 17.30 – 18.40 GHz
- Power Rating: 1.5k CW per Channel
- Low insertion losses <0.8 dB