The European Space Agency (ESA) is positioning several data-relay satellites in the geostationary orbit to relay information between non-geostationary satellites, spacecraft, airborne platforms and fixed ground-stations. The EDRS reduces time delays in the transmission of data intensive and time critical applications and ensures on-demand data availabilty at the right time at the right place.
Key technical challenges:
- Highly integrated waveguide structures
- Thermal design for power handling capability
- High isolation between Rx and Tx unit
K-band with electronically switchable feed combiner for multimode operation of:
- Tele command (operation & IOT)
- Telemetry (operation & IOT)
- Data downlink (operation & IOT)
- Intersatellite link (IOT)
- Monopulse tracking capability
SES S.A., HITEC Luxembourg S.A.